MuscleTech has been one of the leading brands of bodybuilding supplements for more than two decades now, and one of their most successful products is the Nitro-Tech protein powder line.
Nitro-Tech comes in a few different formulas intended for different uses, and this is going to be a quick review of the pros and cons of each of those formulations and what they are best used for.
Nitro-Tech Original Formula
- A blend of whey protein isolates and peptides enhanced with other ingredients that may help improve muscle and strength gains.
- Whey peptides are short chains of amino acids that have smaller and simpler structure than proteins. They are easier for the body to digest and break down into basic amino acids, which are the building blocks needed to synthesize proteins and grow muscle tissue.
- Contains creatine monohydrate, which is widely regarded as the best and most effective form of creatine supplements. It is also believed that a combination of whey protein and creatine monohydrate improves muscle mass and strength better than whey protein alone when supplemented alongside resistance training.
- Contains digestive enzymes (papain and amylase) that help the body break down proteins and carbohydrates.
- One serving provides 30g protein, 3g creatine, 6.9g BCAAs.
- Has artificial flavors and an artificial sweetener (sucralose), which may not go well with everyone’s taste buds.
- Taste is acceptable (varies), but not one of this product’s strong points. It tastes better mixed with milk (your favorite type) rather than plain water.
- Provides 30 grams of whey protein isolates and peptides per serving.
- Contains additional ingredients that may promote fat burning and weight loss, such as L-carnitine L-tartrate, CLA, robusta coffee and green tea extract.
- A good choice for a pre-workout supplement.
- It’s not that effective of a weight loss aid on its own. In order to lose weight, you’ll have to consume less calories and exercise to burn more fat, which you can achieve without any supplement.
- A little pricey.
- A blend of whey protein, creatine monohydrate and betaine anhydrous, all of which can contribute to increased muscle strength and growth.
- Contains tart cherry juice concentrate, which may increase muscle strength and reduce muscle damage, soreness and inflammation.
- Contains two ingredients that can potentially enhance testosterone levels: boron and fenugreek.
- A good choice for a post-workout/recovery supplement.
- More expensive than other formulas on a per serving basis.
Nitro-Tech 100% Whey Gold
- A blend of whey protein isolates and peptides as well as whey protein concentrate.
- A cost-effective 100% protein formula for those who don’t want additional ingredients.
- Provides 24g protein and 5.5g BCAAs per serving.
- Does no contain creatine and other beneficial amino acids.
- The artificial flavors aren’t that tasty.
Nitro-Tech Casein Gold
- Sourced from casein (milk protein).
- Suitable for supporting muscle repair and recovery as it provides slow, prolonged amino acid release.
- Provides 24g protein per serving.
- Creates a very thick texture.
- The taste is a little off.
So, Which Formula is Best?
Well, the Nitro-Tech original formula is ideal for a post-workout protein powder. Unlike other plain whey powders, this blend includes easily absorbed peptides and enhanced with creatine monohydrate and amino acids.
Nitro-Tech Power is also suitable for post-workout supplementation, but it comes at a higher cost per serving. The extra ingredients in this formula may enhance testosterone levels, but there is mixed anecdotal and scientific evidence and you probably shouldn’t expect any significant results in this regard.
If you are looking to lose weight while building muscle, you may want to try the Nitro-Tech Ripped formula. This one is supposed to be taken pre-workout but many also take it post-workout. I wouldn’t really expect much from this or any other supplement as far as weight loss is concerned. It does contain a few ingredients that have been shown to help with losing weight in some limited studies, but the results were not exceptional or impressive in any way. At least, if it doesn’t work for weight loss, you’ll still get the protein!
If you are just looking for plain whey protein isolates/concentrate, then the 100% Whey Gold blend comes at the lowest price per serving.
As for Casein Gold, I’m not so excited about this one. If I wanted to take milk protein, I’d rather have an ordinary, all-natural, fresh milkshake. But if you’d like to give casein protein a try, then this is worth a shot.
All in all, the original Nitro-Tech formula is reasonably the best deal. It is a 2-in-1 supplement that provides both whey proteins (isolates and concentrate) and creatine. You may not like all the flavors, but this is largely subject to personal taste and it is a common issue with all powders that use artificial flavors and sweeteners.
You can buy MuscleTech’s Nitro-Tech products from the Muscle & Strength online store.