If you’ve been searching and digging around the web for a good pre-workout supplement, you may have seen many positive reviews of two products: Pre JYM by JYM Supplement Science, and PreSeries Bulk by Transparent Labs.
This review provides a comparison of the most noteworthy pros and cons of each of these two brands. So without the typical marketing BS, let’s get right to it!
What’s Pre JYM?
Pre JYM is a pre-workout supplement made by JYM Supplement Science. This is a small company that mainly sells a handful of bodybuilding supplements, with Pre JYM being their flagship product.
This brand has received a lot of publicity through their exclusive partnership with BodyBuilding.com, where it is touted as a “cutting-edge” formula, although most of the ingredients are commonly used in other pre-workout supplements.
Pre JYM contains some of the most essential ingredients, such as BCAAS (leucine, isoleucine, valine — 6g total), Citrulline Malate (6g), Creatine HCl (2g), Beta-Alanine (2g), Betaine (1.5g), in addition to a few other ingredients.
Pre JYM Pros:
- A great formula of essential, full dosage pre-workout nutrients.
- Fully disclosed formula. The label clearly states the amount of each active ingredient.
- Contains creatine HCl so you won’t have to take another supplement for it.
Pre JYM Cons:
- The product comes in a variety of (artificial) flavors, and you may not like all of them. Taste is very subjective, but it’s not one this product’s strong points. I think the company needs to work more on this.
- Contains a relatively high dosage of caffeine (300mg), which could cause some side effects for those sensitive to this substance, such as stomach discomfort, jitters, nausea, high blood pressure, etc.
- Contains a couple of artificial sweeteners (sucralose, acesulfame potassium). Some users said it was too sweet for them, but this is subjective.
- Could make you feel full. This is probably due to the gum fillers they use (cellulose gum, xanthan gum), which work as thickeners.
- Some users reported that the powder was solidified or clumpy. Again, this is likely because of the gum fillers, which may cause the powder to clump/solidify when exposed to humidity and heat.
- I find this brand a little bit hyped up and I don’t like some of the claims the manufacturer makes suggesting that this is some sort of a “revolutionary” product! Yes, it is one of the better formulas on the market, but I wouldn’t say it is one of a kind or exceptional in terms of results.
What’s Transparent Labs PreSeries BULK?
PreSeries BULK is another popular pre-workout supplement made by Utah-based Transparent Labs. The company offers several well-formulated supplements of decent quality.
They only sell their products through their website and and there isn’t a lot of third-party feedback about them, but they are pretty legit. Again, there is the typical marketing BS, but this is actually one of the best pre-workout formulas I’ve seen.
PreSeries BULK contains BCAAS (leucine, isoleucine, valine — 4g total), Citrulline Malate (6g), Beta-Alanine (4g), Betaine (2.5g), and a few other worthy ingredients.
PreSeries BULK Pros:
- A full-dosed formula with most of the ingredients you’d need in a good pre-workout supplement.
- Fully disclosed formula. Unlike other proprietary blends, this product lists the exact amount (dosage) of each ingredient per serving, which is especially helpful for people who are sensitive to certain amounts of certain ingredients.
- No jitters or anxiousness. Although it contains a moderate dose of caffeine (180mg), it also contains l-theanine (360mg), which works synergistically with caffeine and counteracts its unwanted side effects.
- Contains no artificial sweeteners or flavors.
PreSeries BULK Cons:
- The taste is rather bitter and not that great, but tolerable. It’s subjective.
- Does not contain creatine. The company justifies this by claiming that caffeine cancels the ergogenic effects of creatine, however, there is no conclusive scientific evidence to back up this claim. They do offer a STIM-free pre-workout, which does contain creatine.
- This is one of the most expensive brands of workout supplements.
Pre JYM and Transparent Labs Bulk are both legit, well-formulated pre-workout supplements that provide a handful of the most important nutrients you’d need for improved exercise performance.
Neither of these products is meant to be a stimulant and they lack any potent (and potentially risky) stimulant compounds that some other products use. They do contain the most commonly used natural stimulant that is generally safe to supplement, namely caffeine, which isn’t more effective than a cup of coffee or a caffeinated energy drink.
Both formulas can provide a decent pump (thanks to citrulline malate) and a moderate energy boost (thanks to caffeine), but you probably won’t feel any particularly impressive effects or an instant kick. Keep in mind that these are nutritional support formulas, not stimulant drugs.
One of the main advantages of Pre JYM over Transparent Labs Bulk is that it contains creatine HCl, which can save you some money if you need this ingredient as you won’t have to use a separate supplement.
Transparent Labs Bulk contains about half the caffeine dosage per serving, which makes it more suitable for people who cannot tolerate a high dose of this natural stimulant. It also contains l-theanine, which has been shown to augment the benefits of caffeine while suppressing some of its side effects, leading to less jitters.
As for price, both products are rather costly at a price tag of $49 per 30 servings.
So, both are good formulas, both contain properly-dosed ingredients, and both are worth a try IMO. There are some differences and pros/cons of each product, which we ran through above. Of course, individual results vary and eventually it’ll come down to how well your body responds to the different ingredients and which flavor you personally prefer.
The facts have been laid out, but only you can answer the question of which one is the better choice for you!
Where to Buy?
Pre JYM is primarily sold on BodyBuilding.com. It can also be found on Amazon and GNC, although at higher prices.
Transparent Labs PreSeries BULK can only be bought from the company’s official website and online store.