Among the countless protein powder brands and formulations on the market, very few stand out from the crowd, and among these is Redcon1’s MRE powder. This is more than just a protein powder, it is a meal replacement packed with real meat-sourced proteins and other essential nutrients; it is a Meal Ready-to-Eat.
Before I get to the pros of this product, let me point out one thing I didn’t like about it, or rather about the way it was presented in an official promotional video.
In the video, Aaron Singerman — CEO of Redcon1 — tries to make a comparison between Redcon1 MRE shake and another one made from the same ingredients in the MRE formula in their fresh, raw food form.
So, in a blender, he dumps some canned yams, a raw beef steak, couple of raw eggs, rolled oats, a piece of raw salmon, a raw chicken breast, blueberries, coconut water and oil.
After giving all of these a good whirl, he does a taste test by asking another guy, Rudy, to sample both the raw food protein shake and the Redcon1 MRE shake. As you’d expect, he didn’t like the taste of the raw concoction while he approved of the MRE shake’s taste.
Well, I found that a little misleading and I didn’t really like it! First of all, people don’t eat (or drink) raw meat! For a more realistic and fair comparison, he should’ve brought cooked and seasoned chicken, salmon, beef, and the rest of the ingredients to be eaten like people usually eat them, i.e. on a plate not in a blender! Compare that to the MRE shake, and it’s obvious which one would be the tastier, healthier and all-around better choice for a meal.
No ready-to-eat meal, protein powder or supplement will ever be as good and nutritious as fresh food, and Redcon1 MRE is no exception.
However, Aaron does make a valid point in the video; an MRE can be a less expensive and a less time-consuming alternative to preparing your own food. So if you are looking for a quick-fix, on-the-go, protein-rich meal, Redcon1 MRE powder is one great choice to consider. Although you will still be missing out on some nutrients and goodness only found in fresh food.
Pros of Redcon1 MRE
Contrary to what my criticism of the taste comparison video might suggest, this isn’t meant to be a negative review. I actually think that this product is one of the best, well-rounded protein formulas you can scoop out of a tub! Let me list some of the main pros of this product:
- This is not a cheap whey protein, it is made from real animal protein. It is not actual ground up meat, but rather protein isolates sourced from beef, salmon and chicken.
- It contains additional nutritious ingredients like oats, yam, sweet potato, coconut water powder, blueberry, goji berry and MTC oil.
- It tastes good for a protein powder. It comes in several flavors so you’re probably gonna have to try a few of those to find the one you like most.
Cons of Redcon1 MRE
On the downside, the following are the main cons:
- Contains artificial flavors — you may not like all of the flavors.
- Contains sugar and an artificial sweetener (sucralose).
- Contains potential allergens: eggs, milk, fish (salmon), coconut. May also contain traces of soybean, wheat, shellfish, peanut.
- Because it contains ground oats, the powder will not dissolve completely. Some users said it made their shake “gritty”.
- It’s pricey!